Thursday 17 November 2016

Sirens by Joseph Knox Book Review



BLURB

It starts with the girl. How it ends is up to DC Aidan Waits.

Isabelle Rossiter has run away again.

When Aidan Waits, a troubled junior detective, is summoned to her father’s penthouse home – he finds a manipulative man, with powerful friends.

But retracing Isabelle’s steps through a dark, nocturnal world, Waits finds something else. An intelligent seventeen-year-old girl who’s scared to death of something. As he investigates her story, and the unsolved disappearance of a young woman just like her, he realizes Isabelle was right to run away.

Soon Waits is cut loose by his superiors, stalked by an unseen killer and dangerously attracted to the wrong woman. He’s out of his depth and out of time.

How can he save the girl, when he can't even save himself?


MY THOUGHTS


I was thrilled to receive an early review copy of Sirens courtesy of Allison Barrow at Transworld Publishing and I am so pleased that I asked. After hearing a lot about this book on Twitter and across the Internet, I knew it was definitely one for me. Sirens is Joseph Knox’s debut and what a great read it is. Sirens stands out amongst the best in crime fiction and I hope that it is the start of a thrilling new detective series. A superb debut and a strong new voice!  

Disgraced Detective Aiden Waits has been caught stealing drugs from the evidence room. His boss offers him perhaps his only opportunity of getting rid of the charges that he now faces which will automatically end his career before it has even really begun. Can Aiden really afford to lose this opportunity? Does he have much choice?

Aiden’s boss, Superintendent Parrs, is keen on using Aiden as his way in to a drug lord den, working in the heart of the city of Manchester to expose detectives working on the force who maybe covering up for them. But Aiden has also been asked by MP David Rossiter to keep an eye out for his daughter, Isabel who is known to have been sucked into the den. From this point on, things really do begin to get messy for Aiden. Although Aiden has his own problems with drugs, as well as other problems in his life, I found myself routing for him all the way and I really wanted to see a bit of luck come his way.

Joseph brought Manchester to life, I have never been before but I really felt as though I was there and I could picture the scenery around me well, particularly the transitions between the more affluent parts of the city and the darker world where the drug lords reigned. The writing grabs you by the throat and drawers you in without effort. I really liked the atmosphere that Joseph Knox created, I thought this was particularly well done in the bars and clubs.

Sirens is one of those books that stands out amongst the crowded crime genre market. I could never quite tell which direction we were heading in this book. Really excellent. 

This is one of the best debuts I have read and I’m sure that it’ll be a hit next year. You definitely don’t want to miss this book. Joseph Knox is a talent to watch. Five stars from me! Thank you to Allison Barrow at Transworld for sending me a copy to review. 


Publisher: Doubleday 

Print length: 384 pages

Publication date: 12th January 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment