Wednesday 15 June 2016

While My Eyes Were Closed Book Review



This is the first book I have read by Linda Green and I certainly hope she writes more books like this. I was immediately hooked from the opening paragraph of her book which describes the loss of a child. You can feel the physical emotion the mother feels particularly here: The invisible umbilical cord between you snaps. You scramble in every direction. Pulling and pulling on your end of that cord.

In the novel, Lisa Dale is playing hide and seek with her daughter, Ella whilst they are at the park. Ella is due to start school on Monday and is very excited although she isn't quite aware that she won't be able to come home every afternoon and go to the park. Lisa shuts her eyes for a few seconds as she counts whilst Ella hides. When she opens them again, Ella is gone. She has vanished without trace. In an unusual approach, we are introduced to Ella's kidnapper quite quickly. This didn't deter me from reading on though, if anything it kept me hooked as I was left wondering what they were going to do with Ella, would they hurt her?

Linda Green has created an emotional, powerful story in While My Eyes Were Closed, I was even left feeling sympathetic for Ella's kidnapper even though they have caused her parents so much pain. The novel is easy to read and Linda Green doesn't waste too much time on description. I thoroughly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good psychological thriller.

Publisher: Quercus

Print length: 416 pages

Publication date: 5th May 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment